[alfa] GT test-drive

Well, I drove past a nearby Alfa dealership today, and they had a GT
demonstrator in.

I just *had* to borrow it for a couple o' hours. My 164 has blown a
headgasket (or two); so I thought I'd have a look-see what else I'd like
to drive.

I felt the 2litre was gutless, even compared to an old 164. The
acceleration just wasn't as I had hoped. Build-quality seems good; there
were no rattles. My travelling companion was disappointed at the quality
of the dash: "a lot of plastic", but I didn't think it was so bad. Oh,
the gearstick... It's very long. Weird, that.

Here's a thing: when you press the window-up button (or down) when it's
fully up (or down) you get an error beep. WHY did Alfa think we'd need
that?

Rear-view was very restricted - Hey I drive a Morgan, so I know what
'restricted' means. It felt as though, to see rearwards, I was using the
lower quarter of the mirror, looking thru' the upper quarter of the
window, if you see what I mean.

Engine noise? The car is very well insulated against noise; so there
isn't much to enjoy.

I am trying to get hold of a V6-engined GT, but demonstrators are rare;
watch this space.

Simon R