[alfa] RE: Clutch Slave Cylinder

I'm no guru, but I have done the slave cylinder replacement.  The snap
rings can be a pain, and may need replacing.  Be sure to set the bleeder
valve to the top of the cylinder and bleeding is quite easy.  If I
remember correctly, gravity pushed the fluid through without too much
pumping of the clutch.  Be careful of the rings that hold the dust cover
in place.  Your replacement kit may not provide new ones.  I fashioned
one out of a coat hanger... No problems.

Andy Menapace
79 Spider
Brandon, MS

P.S.  The flexible brake lines on the front are the same as the clutch
cylinder hose.  If the clutch cylinder hose failed, you may want to take
look at the brake lines too.

Dear Alfa Gurus:
Couple of days ago, got in my '86 Spider clutch wouldn't disengage.
Added
more fluid, still plenty of pedal. Yesterday got in, clutch to the
floor!
Looked under the car, slave cylinder leaking from crack in front rubber
seal.
Ordered new slave and new hose. Has anyone got tips or tricks for
replacement and bleeding? I hope I get another 165k miles off of this
one
too, Ha Ha!

Amanda '86 Spider- One clutch, One blown fuse to fuel injection brain,
and
one starter(from fool who did the clutch not torquing the shoulder bolt)
not
bad huh! THANX!!!