[alfa] Breaker bar vs. impact wrench

Anthony White comments: "If direct force in an anticlockwise direction
isn't giving you any joy, then applying the same pressure in a clockwise
direction, then reverting to anti-clockwise tends to break the nut
loose."

******

It is surprising how often this 'trick' has worked for me. It seems as
if this is the last thing one would want to do with a stuck fastener,
but almost always it  is just a matter of breaking that tight grip the
threads have on one another.

I've also used a bit of heat on the pulley, especially if I suspect a
thread locker has been used.

Most often when I'm removing the front pulley nut the engine is on an
engine stand. I use a couple of 2 x 4's on the crank throws, but have
envisioned the day when the side of block gives way first.

Believe someone gave a part number for a VW tool which attaches to the
flywheel. Anyone have it handy or know which models / years of VW it
fits?

As long as I have you all here, when ordering the thin sleeve's (for
covering the oil seal groove) from Chicago Rawhide, can one order by
make and model or does one need to give the exact diameter and length of
the shaft? Also, how hard are they to install? Should one buy extras
just in case?

Biba
Irwindale, CA USA