Date: Sun, 04 Apr 2004 14:55:19 +0000
From: "shawn" <shawn@domain.elided>
Subject: [alfa] Breaker bar vs. impact wrench

Hi all -

I'm working on that front main seal replacement today. It seems like people
prefer an impact wrench to a breaker bar, but I'm not certain if I can find a
place to rent a compressor/impact wrench on a sunday. I thought I'd ask people
about experience using a breaker bar to get off the crank pulley bolt. My head
is removed right now, if that impacts any advice...

I've already fashioned a "cylinder sleeve tool" on the studs to prevent the
sleeves from popping up. It seems like I ought to be able to lock the crank by
putting the car in 4th and setting the hand break, and then just use a breaker
bar... but I'm not certain. Any thoughts?

Thanks again,
_Shawn