[alfa] Solution: 1986 Spider spiraled downhill in P.O.'s hands

To all concerned,

I got some good feedback from the digest as well as alfabb, and I'm trying to publicize the solution I found to rough running from extremely lean conditions in the 1986 Spider my son George and I are trying to get back on the road after the P.O. had it spiral out of streetability for him.  We troubleshot air leaks (found 1 or 2, not large and not directly helpful
to fix), fuel pressure (found it OK), injectors (replumbed the P.O.'s job, sent the injectors off to find them perfect, replumbed them again), barometric compensator (OK), coolant sensor (OK), and so forth.  New plugs early, with #1 showing burnt from P.O.'s running experience.

Turned out that the AFM had been monkeyed with before (lid obviously re-glued with RTV) and was set to very lean.  Used procedure listed in step 12 of

http://www.oldebottles.com/italiancarspage3.htm

and got immediate joy.  The idle CO screw was not covered by a plug and was loose in its shaft.  I didn't see much on the O2 monitor from changing this, but I nearly closed it (full in - whether right or wrong).

Thanks a bunch.

Michael