[alfa] Adjusting timing on an 86 Spider

All,

I had the oil pump in my 86 spider out recently and must have turned the distributor a bit and didn't notice until everything was all buttoned up and it didn't start. Not wanting to drop the oil pan again (and my fresh batch of Mobil-1) I took the distributor out and rotated rotor it to the mark on the distributor after getting the engine to approximate TDC using the screwdriver method (will us the full stop method mentioned a while back on the list to get a more accurate set later). After doing this I saw that the distributor was about 45 degrees off so I double nutted the annoying shear bold on the pinch bracket so I could turn it. Reinstalled it and was able to start the engine again. It seems to run pretty smoothly.

After the long winded prelude my question is this: How does one set the timing on an 86 Spider? The shop manual mentions that it should be 11 +-1 degrees BTDC at 950 +-50 RPMs and also says to not turn the distributor or face serious consequences. Being that I did rather gross adjustments just to get it running again by violating the warning I wanted to verify that I'm within spec but if I'm not how do I adjust it? I searched the digest archives in vain, saw a couple similar questions to mine but no responses on list.

Thanks,
Kevin
86 Spider