Date: Tue, 30 Mar 2004 18:55:01 -0800 (PST)
From: Alan Lambert <lechefgerard@domain.elided>
Subject: [alfa] Dead GTV-6, stymied mechanics

First, my apologies for double posting--I wasn't sure which address for
the Digest was correct.

A few weeks ago my GTV-6 (Milano 2.5 engine) stopped dead and acted as
if the fuel pump had failed ---it would start, run feebly, and die if
you tried to give it gas.

Mechanic number 1 replaced the filter (he didn't ask if the one in
there was new, which it was!) replaced the double relay, and told me it
was fine.

Two days later it died on the freeway.

Towed to mechanic two, who replaced the ignition module (on the left
front fender toward the front) checked the injectors (they were all
pulsing) the fuel pressure, the oxygen sensor wire, and went through
everything in the Alfa diagnostic book he could find. Somehow, between
the evening before, when there was feeble spark (which he fixed) but
the injectors were pulsing fine, the next morning the injectors stopped
pulsing. He has swapped the ECU for another. He is now baffled, says I
have to tow the car away from his shop, and that he can't find the
problem.

As a result, I missed the Laguna time trial and lost (or didn't get
anything for) a bunch of money.

Please, someone out there tell us where to look--Two mechanics and one
owner are baffled!!

Thanks,

Alan Lambert