[alfa] 164 radiator switch stuff

See inline, hope it helps.
dan in kc, 88 Veloce and new-to-me 91 164L

> Another puzzle I have with the car is the temperature control. When I got
> the car, the fans would not go on, and the temp gauge would creep
> dangerously high.
The 164 CarDisk has a very good troubleshooting
guide that helps you check all the fuses & relays.
> Am I correct to assume that the thermostat is stuck open and needs to be
> replaced (in addition to a new rad fan switch being faulty)?
Sounds like it.
> I got a new rad fan switch from IAP, and am about to replace it today.
> However, in the Centerline catalog I noticed a "new improved"
> version of the radiator
> switch, that allows a manual adjustment of the switch cut-in temp setting.
> Something about stock switches being set to cut in at too high a
> temperature.
My car has this kit from the PO.  It looks cheap (from Taiwan) and
ugly.  Uses an air temp probe stuck behind the fan guard
instead of a water probe, and a plastic reostat thing hung off a metal
piece of stock.  If you don't believe me, I'll send a pic.
Pretty sure it was put on to try to solve an intermittant fan
plug problem.  I'll go back to the stock switch when I get a chance.
Not sure why Centerline thinks 216 is too hot; not sure if they're right.
A better option imho if you think the car runs too hot is to use a
different radiator temp switch (see below) or remove the resistor from
the low circuit, running the fan at a full 12v at 208.
BTW the Centerline reostat is adjustable down to kicking the fan on
at room temp, which is kinda nice for troubleshooting radiator problems.
 > So, my other question to the experienced 164 owners, is what is the
> temperature at which the radiator fan switch turns on the fans at low and
> high speeds?
According to CarDisk it's 208 / 216 or something like that.

> Is a "mod" required to lower those settings?
A different radiator temp sensor would be.  I haven't looked into
whether the thread is generic, but I'm guessing it would be.
Lots of cars have 2-stage sensors, and for some (aka BMW) you
can buy switches with different low/high temp switching.