[alfa] Grinding valve stems

A couple of questions regarding grinding Alfa valve stems to achieve clearance after a valve job. I have my 1750 head at a reputable engine shop in Dunedin, New Zealand. They suggest that it is okay to shorten the valve stem. I passed on the standard warning about sodium-filled valves and there was a bit of head scratching. They have never heard of a valve blowing up and I would guess that there is a reasonable amount of material at the top of the stem so that they will not breach the internals. However, is this good practice? Does it affect the hardening of the valve stem? How much can be removed?

Michael Findlay
1971 1750 GTV --