RE: [alfa] Dead GTV-6, stymied mechanics

Alan -

I can't tell you what exactly is wrong with your car. You obviously have a
component somewhere or an electrical connection that is doing a slow death.
When mechanic number two worked on it and had it running all was well.
Between then and the next morning when it did not something quit or is
affected by temperature.

You need to start over at the top of the diagnostics flow chart that is in
the manual.

Some more information would be helpful ...

Assuming that the car is still in the 'no start' phase -

1 - Is there spark?

2 - Is there an injector pulse?

3 - Does the fuel pump run during cranking?

4 - What is the battery voltage during cranking?

One and two could both be a result of a failed hall effect sensor in the
distributor, or faulty wiring. I've seen flakey connections at the connector
to the distributor before.

Three could be a result of a faulty dual relay (I know you said it was
replaced, does not mean that the new part is not defective, I've seen DOA
parts out of the box more often you'd think). Could also be a failed
microswitch in the AFM.

A week battery can cause all kinds of weird problems. Just because the
engine turns over ok, does not mean that the battery is good.

There is a very straightforward and easy to follow flow chart for diagnosis
in the manual. Start at the beginning and don't skip any steps. You will
need a scope for a couple of the tests (especially the hall sensor).

If you get it running without really having done much, try the wiggle test
on each and every connector you can find to see if you can find the problem.

Also, you said that another ECU was tried. What about the timing control
unit that is up under the dash? If that is bad there won't be any spark.

HTH,

Jeff