[alfa] Re: alfa-digest V10 #7

Hello Alfa Digest Members..... can you help?  I have a 1991 164L, in very nice shape I must add!  It has 40,000 miles on it...I've had it for about a year.  I started having clutch problems, where my clutch pedal would "sink" to the floor after barely tapping on it.....it got progressively worse to the point where I needed to "lift" the pedal up from the floor with my foot each time I shifted.  A real pain in the butt.

I spoke to my local alfa parts house, he suggested replacing the hose from the master to the slave, bypassing what I think is a hydraulic damper on the clutch circuit.  Well, that didn't work.  It got worse, I couldn't get it to pump fluid and bleed.  At this point I went ahead and replaced the clutch master cylinder, but I still can not get the cylinder to pump so that I can bleed the circuit.  I am beginning to wonder if there is something in the clutch fluid reservoir that could be blocking the flow to the cylinder....does the ignition have to be on for the clutch fluid to flow to the cylinder?.... a solenoid of some sort?  It's not the easiest part to get at....

I need help....cause I've lost my CARDisc CD!  Anyways, any insight into this would be appreciated.  I have spent time reading other people's tales of replacing the clutch master on the web....but nothing that could shed light on this problem of mine.

Jack

Green 1991 164 L

*******
Jack Osborn, P.E.