Stag/Stag Digest Archive

Re: TORQUATROL UNIT

Dejong, Paul wrote:

> I am sure you know a lot more about Stag's than I do (I have got mine for
> only 4 years) and therefore I had a look again on my old BMW 320i (which I
> had for 12 years and maintained myself) and compared it to the Stag. It
> seems that the units are exactly the same and there is a metal strip in
> front which can be pushed in with my finger (ouch that did hurt my
> knuckles). On my BMW I can hear it is locked up only at higher revs (above
> 3000) because then the engine is beginning to sound like that of a truck. So
> to conclude, I might have overlooked the fact, in all my naïveté, that I
> might actually have a BMW conversion which still seems a nice alternative
> for the electric fan though.
> Can anyone tell me if the bimetal plate is original or not?

I have just fitted a new viscous coupling (TKC101) and there is no
bimetal strip on it. The old one which was an earlier type didn't have
one either. The one on my SD1 3500 does have one though ! The bimetal
strip should only operate if the underbonnet temperature goes up above a
certain point which would tend to be when you are stationary in traffic
ie. at low revs. If it still operates at 6000 revs then the car is
trying to become an aeroplane !

Sounds like yours has been changed at some point.

Regards,

Dave.

--
	Dave Biggs