Stag/Stag Digest Archive

Tight Steering

Thank you to everyone who's replied to my questions on
this subject.

I've removed the offside suspension strut and found the
top mount is OK.  I'm assuming the nearside will be OK too.

Since the steering wasn't jerky I believe the pump too is OK
but I've noted Leon's and Peter's replies about the pump valve
and will bear those in mind in case of more problems

After seeking more advice elsewhere the problem is thought
to be a faulty control valve on the rack.  I've therefore bought
a reconditioned rack and will report back if it DOESN'T fix it.

Stuart Corenblum made a good point about greasing the rack
but as mine appears to be around 17 years old I think a
replacement is probably overdue anyway.  (BTW I've never
heard of a ZIRK. I assume from your list of vehicles that you're
Stateside.  We call them grease nipples over here and the PO
left the one in place on my rack. I can't think of any problems
that could cause provided you're careful to clean it before
applying the grease gun)

One interesting thing that has come to light is that the offside
front shock absorber (damper) has got deep score marks
on the piston rod (the shiny bit inside the gaitor)

It appears to have been fouling the securing ring which
screws into the top end of the suspension strut.  The ring
that came with the new shock absorber has a slightly
larger hole so there's more clearance.

Since the gaitor had come adrift at the lower end it's also
possible that some grit had found its way in.

John Clayton
SOC mem.no.1570
Kent.  UK

P.S. On June 16th Peter Howells sent a one-word cryptic
message to the Digest.  The one-word was "Ticket".
I'm still having sleepless nights trying to decipher it!
Can anyone help?