Stag/Stag Digest Archive

Re: play in front wheeel bearings

Sujit,

Well it depends what you mean by "a little bit".
If you can just detect some movement when holding
the tyre and rocking the wheel that should be OK.

If you can't detect any at all then the bearing might
be too tight. I don't know what sort of tests you have
to go through in the USA. Here in the UK we have to
have an annual MOT (Ministry of Transport) test.

If you have something similar and the tester fails your
Stag for excessive play then he should be able to tell
you how much play he'll allow.

If there's only one hole for the split pin and you can't
get it to line up then the only other option is to try another
nut, or grind the face of the nut you're using.

I would be interested in views from others on this subject.

John Clayton
SOC member no.1570
Kent.  UK