Stag/Stag Digest Archive

crankshaft pulley removal

Hello all.

 How do I remove the crankshaft pulley?  The workshop manual calls for a claw
extractor.  Is that what we in the U.S. would call a 3 jaw puller?  Some of
the machine shops that I've talked to here locally say that I might bend the
pulley using that type of puller.  They recommend a harmonic balancer puller,
but from what I understand, these use several bolt holes in the front face of
the balancer to attach the puller to the balancer.  This sems like just
bolting the central part of a 3 jaw puller directly to the balancer.  The
Stag doesn't have any holes for this purpose in the front face of the pulley,
and obviously doesn't have a harmonic balancer.  Somebody also suggested a
couple of big screwdrivers or blocks of wood as a lever.  Any suggestions
appreciated.

Thanks,

Frank Magnusson
Wichita, KS.