Stag/Stag Digest Archive

Re: Timing chains - tendency to break

Joe

I run the German chains, but my mileage after rebuild is too low to give any prove of concept.

>I was alarmed to see a recent comment on the list, stating that the
>non-german chains may tend to stretch but the german chains could be more
>suspect to catastrophic breakage. I'm now paranoid about putting in the
>"german chains" for fear of this breakage.I would certinly prefer a bit of
>stretching, I would think.

From my knowledge they will break at a time when the others have already stretched long before. So generall they are supposed to last very much longer then the recommended chain change interval of 20k.

When I look down through the heads both of my chain tensioner are still in the installed position (about 1/8 inch engaged)

Tom

  (stolen from Greg Petrolati)

"Life is too short to drive boring cars!"
Thomas Jell                       | '79 Spitfire (running, running, ...)
81730 Muenchen                    | '74 STAG     (running ... after some work)
E-mail: tjell@domain.elided             |              (during the last two years)
                                  | '63 TR 4     (being rebuilt)

WWW: british car		  | http://www.team.net/sol/
     Triumph Home Page	          | http://www.team.net/www/triumph/