Stag/Stag Digest Archive

RE: Bad vibrations

Just some thoughts..............

You don't say what type of gearbox you have, but if it's an auto I know
of two cars that had an awful vibration and the cause was finally
diagnosed as the Torque Converter. This was only rectified by replacing
the unit with a new one. One car had been in for auto-box work and the
box had been replaced but they workshop said the Torque Converter was ok
so they'd left it alone. This was subsequently proven wrong.

Alternatively have you had the prop-shaft balanced? This can be another
source of vibration.

Also I've seen flanges on the gearbox and diff with distortion (usually
caused by someone with a "Birmingham Spanner" (hammer)). These have
thrown the prop-shaft or half-shaft that is bolted to them out of true
causing vibration. Check with a straight edge across the face of the
flange.

Richard  Brake
richard.brake@domain.elided