Stag/Stag Digest Archive

Re: Oil in the Carb Dashpots

> The Dashpots in the Carbs is supposed to be full of oil - right?

Correct - well not full but so that there is resistance when replacing the
plunger.

> When I check all my levels of oil and water I keep removing the black caps
> and topping these up as the oil seems to dissapear somewhere. I guess this
> should not happen.
>
> Can anyone tell me what I need to replace to fix this problem, and what
> consequential problems I would encounter if the dashpots ran dry?

There is a small O ring seal at the base of the dashpot that needs replacing -
you need to remove the top cover (4 cross head screws), remove the needle with
a carb adjusting tool, and replace the O rings.  Then it should not need
topping up every week.

Without the oil in the dashpot the mixture is too weak on acceleration as the
piston in the carb rises too quickly.  You may experience a flat spot. Once
running at constant speed though I don't think you would notice any problem.

I am sure someone more knowledgable than me will tell you the part number etc
but I am sure the main parts suppliers can let you have both the tool and O
rings.

I'm no expert - but hope this gives you confidence to know that it is not
likely to be an expensive problem.

Graham Nicholson