Stag/Stag Digest Archive

Difficult head removal.

From time to time, there has been words said about heads that get stuck on because of corrosion between the alloy head and the metal studs.

During my frewquent (fortnightly)trips to Sydney, we stop off at a small country town for a cup of coffee.  I have become well aquainted with the owner of the shop next door who has an Austin-healey.

On the way back yesterday he related a story about a the owner of a ferrari who had to remove the heads after 70,000 k's and had difficulty in removing the heads because of corrosion.  obviously corrosion works in expensive cars as well as stags.

The owner took his car to several dealers with no success.  He apparently had assess to the workshops of Qantas airways, still no success.

eventually, the only way to get it off was to have a very thin circular saw made to fit snuggly over the head stud, and using the stud to guide and strengthen the saw, the hole through the head was enlarged with minimal damage to the head.  this method was successful.

Another story.  About a fortnight ago, compression tests on my '78 2500S sedan indicated that there was a need to undergo a head job.  Having removed the overhead gear and head nuts, the head, which had last been removed 20 years ago at 20,000k's, the car has now done 347,000,  refused to budge.  After employing several option without success, I replaced the overhead gear and spark plugs, (no head nuts) and cranked it over on the starter motor.  After a few turns the head lifted.   I do not know how this would go on a stag with the overhead cam!!!!!!!!!!

keep staggering brian