Stag/Stag Digest Archive

Re: Intake Manifold

Hello
I have been there, done that etc.
Mine is miles out, but I couldn't bear to loosen a head with the attendant
risks.
With my manifold just sitting in the vee, I was tight (001) on one side and
gaps on the other. The gap at the bottom of rear left was .013 and the gap at
the top was .030.
I used Unipart Asbestos Free Gaskets which have a very flexible smooth soft
plasticy feel to them and are grey in colour, and .025 thick.
I used a little silicon instant gasket lightly smeared.
I torqued up to 16/20 but guessed on the the front left bolt where I couldn't
get the socket on.

I do not believe I have leaks as my engine note changes when the oil filler
cap is removed.

With 0.95 to play with it sounds like your heads are maximum tolerance apart.
I can only suggest you use two gaskets each side. At least you are parallel.
If you seal water then you should seal air as well in my mind.
The alternative is to reset the heads as per the ROM. It says something like
fit one, then bolt up the manifold to both heads and torque up the second
head. Remove and refit the manifold. Don't take my word for it, check this
out.

Hmmmm!
Peter