Stag/Stag Digest Archive

Help needed to fix intake manifold leaks

Does anyone have any suggestions on what type of gasket material and/or
gasket sealer to use to get rid of a intake manifold vacuum leak where
the manifold bolts up to the heads?  Both Joe Pawlak and I have found
major vacuum leaks in this area which need to be repaired to get our
Stags to idle properly.  Neither of us have a problem with coolant
leaks - just vacuum leaks.  We've both applied Hylomar to the gaskets
during assembly.  I have paper gaskets, and I think Joe said something
about using asbestos gaskets.

I'll leave it up to Joe to tell the full story of what happened while
his leaks were detected.  I had just left the shop where the Illinois
Sports Owners Association tune-up clinic was being held, so I don't
know all of the details, but I heard that the flammable carb cleaner
that was being used by the shop tech to find the vacuum leaks was
ignited by a carb backfire.  Joe was able to drive his Stag home,
but it appears that he has a lot of work ahead of him to make it
presentable again.

Please be careful when using volatile flammable liquids near your car!

Tim Buja - Rockford, Illinois, USA - 80 TR8, 73 Stag, 72 TR6