Stag/Stag Digest Archive

Re: Dealing with Rimmer Brothers

Hello George,
    I bought many orders from Rimmers and Barratts in the UK.  In all
but one order, the ordering and questions/answers were done totally via
email, one order I faxed in.
    If there was a part problem, I emailed the information, usually to
Steve in export sales, and the correct parts were sent immediately free
of charge.
    Shipping costs were zero as I bought when Rimmers was having their
"Free Shipping" specials.  Depending on who the freight company was, and
who the freight forwarder is depends on whether the order gets a customs
charge.  It seems that UPS and Fed-X both use the same customs clearing
procedures, and a bill for the duty will arrive in a month or so. Expect
it to be about 2.5% of the order.
    Auto parts DO incur a customs duty/tarriff, especially roller
bearings.  A visit to the US Customs site will lead you to the list of
products and their relative percentages of duty/tarriffs.
From my experience, Rimmers has always discounted the price an
additional 10-15 percent off the non-vat price on large orders just for
the asking.  Sometimes they will run a special where there is a discount
AND free shipping if it is associated with a show that Rimmer attends.
Rimmer attends the VTR National and Triumphest so far, they are anxious
to come over and hobnob with USA Triumph enthusiasts.  My experience is
that I can have a part from Rimmers in 5 days, where my ROM ordered from
a US supplier took 8 weeks. Rimmers, Paddock, Barratts and Kipling
always seem to be there for immediate response, where some other
suppliers I have dealt with make a $500 order seem like a burden for
them to take your money.
    In comparison to other Triumph suppliers, their prices remain very
competative in my opinion even after figuring exchange rates and duty,
unless you get in on one of the TRF specials when they fill a shipping
container from the UK.
    I have found that many of the US Auto stores have Lockheed,
Beck/Arnley, Unipart and AP as suppliers and can get the parts in a day
on a lot of things, plus quality warranted rebuilds on starters,
alternators, racks, power steering pumps, etc.  Just takes the phone
call or visit to see what they have.

    There are US suppliers of Triumph parts who give excellent service
listed on the VTR and SOL pages too.

In My Humble Amateur Opinion, Yours for Speculation ...

Regards,
Glenn  Merrell, VTR Webmaster ProTem
Triumph Stag Register USA VP
*J*O*I*N**Y*O*U*R**L*O*C*A*L**T*R*I*U*M*P*H**C*L*U*B**T*O*D*A*Y*
*Member of:
*VTR, RMTC, TSC USA, TSR, SOC