Stag/Stag Digest Archive

Re: Hub Bearings

Peter Howells wrote:-

> My left front wheel rocks 1/8 of inch in the vertical plane.
> I assume Wheel bearing shot so have bought a GHK1016.
> Inside are two hub bearings , an oil seal and a washer
> and split pin.
> For those who want to know this is a much cheaper option than
> purchasing those items separately.
---

> Date: 01 April 1999 10:04

Richard Brake wrote

> Make sure the oil seal is leather not rubber. Because the rubber one's
> can't take the heat. Had you tried adjusting the bearings first?
-----

It's a fair question but in my experience if bearings suddenly
get loose then they're on the way out and will need replacing
sooner or later.  (See my article in SOC magazine no.214 on
last year's "Euroclassic")
The only exception is that new ones may need tightening as they
bed in.

I was also going to reply to Richard's comments about leather
oil seals, but then I checked today's date!!

John Clayton
SOC member no.1570
Kent. UK.