Stag/Stag Digest Archive

Liftoff!

I am psyched!

Earlier this week , I filled my new acquisition up with about 10 quarts
of oil, poured oil into all 8 cylinders, and started checking the
electrical system out.

Got a new battery, put it in and turned on the ignition. Almost instant
gas smell.  On carb is spitting gas out of the overflow vent. So, I
figure stuck float. If I'd thought about it earlier this week, I could
have had a rebuild kit in, but I was busy at work, and forgot.

Last night I pulled the carbs, and I could see that besides the stuck
floats, both diaphragms had split in multiple places back when that car
was running.

This morning I remembered that there's a brit car shop not 15 minutes
from my house. I seem to always forget these people except when I'm in a
hurry.

Quick trip, quick cleanup and rebuild, and I remount the carbs. No more
gas leaks. Drain the excess oil. Spray a little starting fluid in, turn
the key, and Whammo! Wow! The exhaust system on this car is shot!

On the other hand, the Triumph V8 is not. After a 10 year snooze, it ran
rough for a few minutes, smoothed out and ran for 25 minutes.
Temperature gauge swung up almost to the halfway mark, then dropped down
to the 1/3 position as the thermostat opened and stayed there.

I shut it down, and 20 minute later, it kicked right off and ran
smoothly right from the start. Damn. If I'd ordered the brake parts, I
could get this baby rolling this week.

I'm still waiting for my Rimmers catalog to see what type of patch
panels are available, but in the meantime, I want to get this car ready
to roll.

--
George Richardson
The Wyvern - '57 TR3, TS15559L - http://www.merlingroupinc.com/tr3.htm