Stag/Stag Digest Archive

FRAM filters part no. required for '71 Stag

Hi Ben

As far as I know, Fram air filters are good for the Stag.  The element is
the same as used on the TR7 slant 4, Dolomite Sprint and Jauar XJ6 saloon.

However do NOT use any oil fliter other than the official approved element
GFE 147 or one made to the same standard.  The official element has steel
end plates, and both end plates have a raised ring stamped into them.  The
raised ring is to enable the oil circulation to flow round the top of the
filter and to give clearance to the oilway which is directly in the housing
top face.

For this reason, never fit oil filter elements with a flat face (steel or
cardboard) as to achieve oil flow the filter has to lift off its seat.

Also, never fit oil filter elements with a glued-on gasket, either in
conjunction with a steel or cardboard end plate.  The glue melts under hot
oil attack and the gasket can move across and block the oilway.

Photographs and diagrams are available for downloading to anybody who
informs me they would like pictures.  Alternatively look at my article in
November 1997 edition of 'Club Torque' the magazine of Club Triumph where
this is all explained with pictures (I am Stag Consultant to Club Triumph
also).

The above is as a result of invetigations I made into engine failures with
Unipart about 10 years ago, when they redesigned the end-plates for the
Stag.

Note that spurious filter elements are available still, this is because a
similar element fits the Mini and a number of other small engine
applications.  Consequently, these filters are still being supplied by DIY
shops and fitted to Stags plus slant 4's, and engine failures continue to
result.

So, the above remarks also apply to the slant 4 engines used in TR7,
Dolomite 1850 and Sprint.

Unless the situation has changed at Fram, they do not list a filter element
for the Stag and neither do many other suppliers, again as a result of my
conversations with them.

I hope the above is of help to you.

Mike Wattam
Chairman - Triumph Stag Register