Stag/Stag Digest Archive

New Owner: parts availability?

I just today purchased a somewhat badly rusted '72 Stag that has been
sitting for 10 years in a garage.

Having already done a major rebuild on a TR3, I'm pretty sure the body
is something I can handle. I've also looked at the Rimmers web site, and
seen that they have a fairly good selection of parts available.

I do have a couple of questions though.

How good is local (i.e. your local auto parts store) parts support for
things like brake pads and shoes, alternator, starter, and the other
more common stuff?

The car I purchased has a Piranha electronic ignition system installed.
Is this common? I know some of what I've read says the original dual
point system was troublesome.

Thanks for any feedback!

George Richardson
The Wyvern - '57 TR3, TS15559L