Stag/Stag Digest Archive

Re: electric fans

Sujit  (I believe that is actually your name)

Kenlowe fans come with a thermostat that fits in the
top radiator hose.  There's a small bridge piece of
rubber with a groove to allow the capillary tube to
enter the hose at the end, under the hoseclip.
You might be able to buy just the thermostat without
the fan; it's worth asking.

I bought an oil cooler for my first Stag after fitting an
oil temperature gauge and watching the needle hit
120 degrees Celsius while going round Goodwood
race track.  (It was a "test" day; I wasn't racing)

I'd fitted the sender unit into the sump about 1inch up
from the bottom.   The temperature at the bearings would
have been a lot higher, though I've never seen a figure
for the max permitted oil temperature.

The oil cooler kept the temperature below about 100 deg.C
though it's important to also fit an oil thermostat to prevent
the oil being overcooled.

Incidentally I also modified the sump by brazing in some
baffles to prevent oil surge, and increased the capacity
to about 11 pints (UK) by cutting it horizontally and
brazing in a band to give an extra inch and a half of depth.

John Clayton
SOC member.no.1570

P.S. To Glenn Merrell - I've forwarded your questions to
Mike Allen and will let you know his reply.