Stag/Stag Digest Archive

Dics pads again sorry

Hi folks,

Just thought I would throw my thoughts in. I was trying to stay out of
this one, but what the heck just had to have my say.

Personally I have never seen disc pads for the Stag that were NOT
handed, well not in the past 25 years or so that I have been around
them, now that makes me feel old, the part number has changed three
times, 517406 to 520243 to current number GBP242.  The first part number
is taken from a very early parts book that I have circa 1970, the next
part number is in the current Triumph Stag parts book, the last part
number is, I suspect when Unipart was formed and a lot of parts common
to other cars were given a new range of numbers, like GLB for bulbs, GBP
for pads, GHK for wheel bearing kits and so on.

If you look in the parts book at the illustration for the disc pads you
will see a small knoble on the lower front end of the pad, this is what
makes them handed. This illustration is the same in my early parts book.

I have looked through my Lockhead parts book and found several pads
using the same back plate as the stag ALL ARE HANDED, and state two
pairs of pads-handed. The only pads I could find that may fit are LP7
for Triumph 2.5 PI MKII and MGB, these are not handed and look like they
may fit.

I hope this will clear thing up a bit, but somehow I doubt it.

Now one thing I did find looking through the Lockhead book, the Reliant
Scimitar uses a pad with the same back plate as the Stag (LP416), Yes
they are handed, they incorporate a wear indicator on two of the pads,
this could be wired into a warning light on the dash to let you know
when your pads need changing.

Bye for now.

Tony.

A.D. St,John-Hart