Stag/Stag Digest Archive

Re: BW 35 Automatic Gearbox problem

Peter

As you say hill pull-away is fine, as is acceleration 60-70, so do not
suspect the torque convertor.  There is very little that wears out in a
torque converter, just a large bearing and a spigot bearing which can also
seize - and an adaptor plate which I have seen break up before now.

As for the rear clutch, why it should have started playing up after only
100 miles is a mystery, if that IS what the problem is.  Perhaps the
gearbox was built with sub-standard or worn out plates, or the actuating
piston sealing ring got broken, who knows.

I am also still suspicious that the internal pipes have not been correctly
connected, as you say it started playing up after 'overhaul'.

Also I regret to say I have no confidence in a repairer who would try to
fob you off with the kickdown cable excuse.  Just so long as you are
certain it is correctly adjusted - wouldn't do any harm to just check it
yet again!

Mike Wattam
Chairman - Triumph Stag Register