Stag/Stag Digest Archive

Stag & Triumph HIENZLE Clock Repair

Hi Henry,
	Sometimes I'm brain dead, Larry ... ;-}

On the face of the clock is should say KIENZLE just under the 12 o'clock
position, and a black adjusting knob in the middle of the plastic window.  If
so, then this is a solenoid wind up type.  This means that there is a solenoid
that pulses every so often to keep the mainspring wound.

Tools needed:
-small flatblade screwdriver
-small pliers or nut driver set.
-single thin strand of copper wire
-solder iron with pinpoint tip
-electronics grade solder
-some sort of holder to keep the clock adjusting knob off the table, it breaks
easily.

To dissassemble the clock, two things must be done:
1.  Figure out a way to unroll the bead on the bezel on the back edge without
damaging the bezel.  I used a small flat blade screw driver, working my way
around between the clock case and the bezel.  CAREFUL, the bezel can split, and
the clock adjusting knob breaks off easily.
2.  Once the bezel edge is unrolled, there is one nut securing the clock
internals, it is the one between the 12 and 1 o'clock position on the back.
Unscrew this nut and gently push the internals out the front of the case. DO NOT
BREAK OFF THE PLASTIC ROUND PIECES ON THE BACK OF THE CASE, THEY ARE INSULATORS
FOR INTERNAL SCREWS.

Repair:
3.  carefully inspect the internals looking for little beads of solder.  Clean
them out when you find them, being careful that you do not damage anything
inside.  Inspect the clock gears for little balls of solder that may be jamming
things.
4.  look for the wire wound solenoid.  You will see two little "rings" at the
top of the internals that may have solder on them.  There should be a wire
connecting them.  If no wire is across these two points, it has burned out most
likely by a low voltage battery drawing a high current.  This is an internal
fuse.  If this fuse is intact, there is another problem with the clock and
careful checking might find the cause.  If you replace the internal fuse, best
bet is to externally fuse the clock with a 1/10 ampere fuse and fuse holder.
5. Test the clock operation by observing how the solenoid winds the mainspring.
Gently push the solenoid lever up, allowing the latch arm to wind the mainspring
gear with the down force.  If the clock starts ticking, all is well. Play with
this for a while, and you will note that the solenoid needs to energize about
every 30 seconds.  You will note that when the mainspring winds down, the
soleniod arm has two "contacts" on the bottom of it that connect, drawing
battery voltage and energizing the solenoid.
6.  prepare a short piece of a single strand of thin copper wire to fit across
the two eyeholes, carefully solder them back in place.
7. test the clock.  Note the Positive connection spade lug, and the one with the
nut is the Negative.  USING EXTREME CARE and Safety Glasses, connect a 12 volt
DC battery, (car battery is fine) to the terminals using some small insulated
jumpers.  The solenoid will immediately energize and wind up the mechanism.
Watch it for a couple of minutes to get the idea of how it works.  Remove the
clock from the battery.
8.  carefully insert the clock internals back into the case using proper
alignment for the spade connections, reinstalling the nut.
9. clean the clear plastic window and bezel pieces, insert the green lightpipe
collar, place the plastic window back on the face, followed by the two pieces of
bezel.
10.  Rerolling the bezel:  The center adjusting knob can break easily, so use
the same holder you used to unroll the bezel.  I had difficulty rerolling the
bezel tightly with a rounded edge tool, but that seems to work best.  Retest the
clock before installing into the dash.

Any questions, do ask!

Regards,
Glenn  Merrell
Triumph Stag Register USA VP
*J*O*I*N**Y*O*U*R**L*O*C*A*L**T*R*I*U*M*P*H**C*L*U*B**T*O*D*A*Y*
*Member of:
*VTR, RMTC, TSC USA, TSR, SOC