From: Mike Wattam <MikeWattam@domain.elided>
To: Henry Frye <thefryes@domain.elided>
Date: 23 January 1999 00:21
Subject: Looking for a points plate

Hi Henry

I am sure you have chosen the best and cheapest route with your wiring
harness.  The 'other' secondary wiring harnesses are all shown in the parts
book with separate numbers - with alternatives depending on the car
specification.  So, there is nil chance they are included with the main
harness.  I'm not sure where you are (sorry, I think you did tell me) but I
was in Detroit, Niagara and New York the first 2 weeks of this year, and
now how you feel, the weather certainly wasn't much fun at 20 below (F) a
lot of the time!  In conditions like that I wouldn't even venture out of
the house unless forced, let alone go near the Stag, what a wimp!

Points plates (new) are available from UK suppliers including Rimmer Bros,
who can also supply points sets, condenser, coil etc.  As you just want
used parts for a 'try-out' I hope somebody can help you.  If not, I have a
used set here which you can try and return (but no coil, try an early
'Beetle' owner for this).

Incidentally, it is possible to buy a service replacement electronics 'box'
for your Lumenition, without buying the whole kit.  Can  any of our USA
members give Henry a sutiable contact please?

If you go for the kit, most of the UK suppliers are now stocking the
'Piranha' kit.  While the Lumenition kit certainly is not trouble-free, I
have knowledge of one TSR member who has fitted Piranha, with a very bad
experience (tachometer problems) and other than this I know of no problems
with Piranha except that they used to make (or just sell) some troublesome
anti-theft alarms.

Aren't electrical faults infuriating!

As you say, once the weather improves so you can use it, you will be
delighted with your new acquisition I'm sure, and secure in the knowledge
the job has been done right.

Mike Wattam
Chairman - Triumph Stag Register