Stag/Stag Digest Archive

Illumination Illumination of Instruments

Hey guys,

On this question of dim bulbs (!) in the instruments, just a note about
lighting technology.  If you've noticed that modern headlights tend to
be fitted with halogen bulbs, there's a reason.  Older bulbs were fitted
with a filament that, over time, evaporates and lays a layer of metal on
the inside of the bulb.  This dims the bulb.  Halogen bulbs avoid this
because the metal of the filament tends to re-deposit on the filament,
rather than the bulb.

So I would venture to say that the reason that my instrument lighting,
and every one else's, are dim, is because the bulbs are 25 years old,
with clouded bulbs.  Solution?  Replace the bulbs every 10 years.

Kevin Harrop
'73 Stag w/ Datsun Z engine
Los Angeles