Stag/Stag Digest Archive

Re: Radiators

Mark Jordan wrote:

> Can anyone advise me of the best radiator to buy.
>
> My late Mark 2 Stag (LD45248A) is running fine in the UK winter
> but during the summer on a hot day when running at 70mph on the motorway it
> ran worryingly close to the red on the temp gauge. It never over-heated but
> I got fed up with driving with the heater on and one eye on the gauge.
>
> I assume that my problem is a furred up radiator so whilst Rimmers are
> offering 20% off at the moment, now would be a good time to buy.
>
> However, the guy I spoke to at SOC spares recommended the standard
> radiator - he said the uprated ones were no better.
>
> I expect to only buy a radiator once so I want the best / coolest one I can
> get.
>
> Any ideas / recommendations?

There was some environmental tests done at Gaydon a few years ago by
Dave Wardle (who works on cooling systems design at Rover) and Russell
Lewis. They tried different radiators and other things in a variety of
conditions/engine loads.

The conclusion regarding radiators was that the standard 5 row `D' tube
design was the best and that the `high efficiency' ones were actually
worse ! Evidently the `D' type core design is no longer used on modern
cars (apart from the Mini) due to the manufacturing costs. It also
helped under idle conditions to have a cowl fitted (which Glenn has had
remade).

The results were printed in the SOC magazine but I can't remember which
months.

Keep cool !

Dave.

--