Stag/Stag Digest Archive

Throttle shafts

Hey gang,

I'd like to get some comment on a potential fix for worn throttle
shafts.  I have SU's that are leaking sufficently to make a smooth idle
unobtainable.

I also have some spares that are pretty worn.  I just tore one down and
chucked the throttle shaft into my lathe, then used my knurling
attachment to raise the brass.  I worked it back into the carb body,
which is bushed with steel.  It was of course impossibly tight, until I
grabbed it with an electric drill and spun it.  It took a few iterations
between the knurling process and the spinning before a close fit was
obtained, but I dare say that now that I have gained this experience, I
could get a good fit fairly quickly.

Any one care to comment on the potential effectiveness and durability of
this fix?

Kevin Harrop
'73 Stag w/ Datsun Z engine
Los Angeles