Stag/Stag Digest Archive

Re: busted engine

Hello Duncan,
	Sorry to hear about the sucked valve!  To answer your questions:
1.  The TR7 and Left Hand Stag cylinder heads are made in the same molds, but
all are NOT the same.  The cam profile is cut differently between the two, and
the TR7 head is drilled and tapped for the Smog pump air injection into the
cylinder head exhaust ports in the USA.  If you plan on using a TR7 cylinder
head to replace the Stag Left Hand cylinder head, you'll need to change the
cams.  To do this,  you will need to have the camshaft bearings line bored to
match the Stag cam, or have bearing shells installed.
	Rimmers is having a "Free Delivery" special from November 16 through December
23rd if you register free with them for a customer number.  The complete
unleaded cylinder head, delivered to your door is $576, plus a gasket set.  But
what are you going to do about the piston, and possible bent connecting rod?
I'd recommend doing your heads in pairs, or at least having the shop do both
heads at the same time.  Keeps things in proper kilter.  You might want to call
East Coast Jaguars at 1-800-475-9257 to see what kind of deal John will cut you
in light of the current Rimmers deal on free shipping.

2.  Compression on USA Stags was changed by the installation of a dished piston,
lowering the compression 7.75:1 in USA emmission engines.  The dished pistons
are no longer available unless you get used ones, and only the flat top style
are now sold.
	Skimming the cylinder head will increase the compression ratio slightly, and
using thick gaskets will decrease compression slightly.  The use of the thick
gaskets are for overskimming the head to where the valve surface would actually
interfere with the piston with a normal thickness gasket.

Hope this helps.

Regards,
Glenn  Merrell
Triumph Stag Register USA VP

"Keep Your Stag Cool, Install a NEW Composite Cowl Today"
See it at the site below:
http://pw1.netcom.com/~gmerrel/stagcowl001.html

REGISTER YOUR STAG on the STAG DATABASE (courtesy of Dave Sims):
http://dialspace.dial.pipex.com/town/square/gcj72/index.shtml

Support your Local and National Triumph Clubs

Vintage Triumph Register membership inquiry's:
Andrew Mace, President
http://www.vtr.org/brochure/membership-form.html

Triumph Stag Club, USA membership inquiry's to:
Bruce Krobusek, President
Mike Coffey, Chairman; VTR Stag Vehicle Consultant
mailto:brucekro@domain.elided

Triumph Stag Register UK membership inquiry's to:
Mike Wattam, Chairman
mailto:101714.1343@domain.elided