Stag/Stag Digest Archive

TR-6/Stag Engine Conversion

Sorry about the last set of e-mails. I am having trouble with Netcom's
e-mail

I know I am going to incur the wrath of all of the purists out there but
here goes. I am interested in finding anybody who has
done or knows about doing an engine swap to a TR-6 engine on a Stag.
Before you all jump down my throat I want the car to
be a daily driver & in the central valley Calif. where the road temps
get 125-145 in the summer. I want a car that can run in
these conditions and as we know the Stag is prone to heat problems even
in England where the temps reach maybe 80 deg in
the summer. I have read that the car was originally designed for the
TR-6 engine. I want to do the conversion with no changes
to the car, so it can be restored back to stock if I decide to finish
the V-8 and sell the car. If anyone has done or can give me a
name of some who has done this I sure would be grateful if you contacted
me.

And to the purists:
I have spent the last 25 yrs protecting the purity of Jags.. I hate any
sports car  conversions but in the case of the Stag it has
proven to be a problem child in this valley. I have increased the
radiator row count, put an competition external oil cooler on it,
added a electric fan & setup an external oil spin-on oil filter  which
didn't lower it enough to even drive it with the air off in the
summer. So I am looking for a way to drive it reliably with out having
to constantly be looking at the temp gauge & the TR-6 oil

pressure gauge to make sure that the engine is not cooking itself. This
conversion seems to be the best choice of all that I have
investigated.

Thanks.
Stephen Wall
swall@domain.elided