Stag/Stag Digest Archive

Petrol Fumes

Hi Dean/All,
	      I too have a ''76 registered Stag, recently extensively rebuilt
mechanically. (Got just a little carried away, being my only car. It now
has a remote control immobiliser that also closes the windows and locks the
doors by keypad, magic. Also a retrofitted integrated A/C system (ex a
dismantled U.S. spec STAG) now with a rotary compressor and R143a
refrigerant) .....and recently really strong fuel vapours in the cabin

Interestingly the vapours eminating from the boot were very noticeable with
hood or hard top in place AND the windows down. When the windows were up
the fuel vapours were not present. Wish I had worked this out sooner -
cabin pressurization I guess.

Anyway, the culprit? A nondescript tiny plastic elbow in the fuel line that
attaches to a small breather cannister in the boot above the fuel pump. It
seems after 23 years or so they tend to fracture if disturbed. Just a small
crack yielded a bootful of fumes. I was able to source a new one for little
cost from Sports Car Spares in Sydney. Once fitted the problem was solved.
Hope this might assist.

regards,

Nick Berlyn