Stag/Stag Digest Archive

RE: A smelly Stag

Dean

"In my opinion" it would be worth checking that the fuel lines are not
leaking while under pressure. Firstly take extra precautions when
working with the fuel system, do not wear overalls that might create
static shocks. Have an extinguisher nearby and keep all naked flames etc
well clear.

Switch on the ignition (but not the engine). The fuel pump should then
fill the fuel lines and slightly pressure the system. The pump will stop
clicking when the system is full. If it continues to click for more than
30 seconds you are either out of fuel, or the system is not pressurising
due to a leak between the pump and the carbs.

Then check the fuel lines for a fine spray leaking from a small hole or
loose clamp etc. I used a mirror as it was easier "for me" to see the
fine spray hitting the surface of the glass. A fine spray of fuel will
stink to high heaven but will not dampen the hose due to rapid
evaporation of the petrol.

I found mine to be leaking past the fuel line union where it attaches to
the pump. The bolt was not loose but the fibre washers were well past
their best.

Good luck

Richard Hudson
73 Auto White Stag