Stag/Stag Digest Archive

A smelly Stag

Hi Folks,

Would be interested in your comments on a small yet annoying problem. My
'76 Stag smells of petrol almost constantly. I cured an earlier problem
which was the rubber hose that bends around the firewall connecting the
steel fuel line underneath the car and the lead line to the engine. I
thought this would solve the problem but alas, not to be. The smell seems
to be quite prominant in the boot area but after a thorough search, there
appears to be no visible leaks around the fuel pump, fuel tank or the
cannister system. The overflow tube seems O.K. at the top and is not
leaking either. Any suggestions on where to next ?? Does it mean fuel tank
out and further inspection underneath ??  Is there any value in renewing
all the lines and unions even when they appear dry ???

Many thanks,

Dean
Sydney, Australia