Stag/Stag Digest Archive

Running again

Hello all.

After a three year long rebuild of the front suspension and brakes on my
stag (further post on pressure bleeding to follow for those who asked about
it earlier) I finally started it up at the weekend  for the first time since
 I began work.

I removed the plugs and put a few drops of oil in to each cylinder before
turning it over on the starter a few times as others have recommended. I
then replaced the plugs and it started on the third try although running
fairly roughly and with a fair bit of smoke from the exhaust - presumably
caused by the oil. After letting it warm up the exhaust remained very sooty
and when I checked the plugs again they were covered in soot which I would
initially interpret as an over rich mixture. In addition it still ran quite
roughly. However the carbs were rebuilt and tuned ( by somebody whose
ability I trust) about 100 miles before the car was laid up.  Before I start
double checking the tuning etc can anybody confirm whether the soot is
simply  the result of the burnt oil and if I chnge the plugs and give it a
bit longer to settle down all should be OK. Alternatively if anybody has any
other ideas please let me know.

In addition, and this may just be the power of suggestion, I am sure there
is a distinctive metallic sound coming from about halfway down the left bank
of cylinders.  There were some postings on something very similar a few days
ago but I deleted them as not being relevant to me as the engine sounded
fine before it was laid up. If anybody kept them could they forward a copy.

Thanks in advance.

Andrew Wood