Stag/Stag Digest Archive

Oil Surge

Here's a new topic for discussion which I can not remember seeing before.

As I have mentioned on the list before I have fitted a small buzzer across
my oil pressure light.  I did this as I felt it unlikely I would notice the
light until it was too late, Particularly with the sun shinning on the
dash.

The other day I was descending a fairly steep hill and at the same time
braking and turning right into a side street.  Lo and behold I heard my
buzzer go off and a quick glance at my oil pressure gauge showed it
plummeting to zero (see Mike they do have a use).  This all lasted about
0.5 second and then recovered.  I diagnose it was oil surge.  This is
particularly likely as the manoeuvre at the time would have most of the
sump oil in the front left hand corner of the sump.  I checked my oil level
when I got home and it was full to the top mark on the dipstick.  As a
matter of interest I do have a oil tube on the block.

I believe that I would never have noticed the above events without the
buzzer as the pressure dip was for a very short time and I was too busy
braking and cornering at that moment to be looking at dash lights.  I have
been able to repeat the experience by using the same hill and corner and by
very heavy braking.  Has anyone else experienced this?  Does the Stag sump
have baffles?  In any case I would be interested in any comment.  I do not
imagine a short and very infrequent dip in pressure will do significant
harm, although other opinions are welcome.  In any case I do not know if
there is anything I can do about it.

If list members wish to test this on their cars they do so at their own
risk.  Slamming on the brakes, throwing the car sideways to the right or
any combination of these can lead to accidents or conflict with local
constabulary.  If, in-spite of these words of caution, someone does try one
of these manoeuvres I would be interested in knowing the outcome.

Guy Grunwald
77 Stag