Stag/Stag Digest Archive

RE: Cylinder head noises

Graham

Mine does exactly the same, for a moment there I thought that you had my
car. I even checked my garage to see if my pride and joy was still
there.

I spoke to Tony Hart about mine and he said that this is something that
he has heard of before, I am not sure whether it is a common problem or
not. He has never actually heard my car because by the time I get it to
him it would be warm and them he would have to keep it overnight before
the problem would re-occur. Anyway I think this is what he told me.

The rear LH head is the last place that the oil travels too before it
drops back down to the sump. Tony suggested to me that it is either a
sticky cam bucket or valve, I seem to recall that Tony indicated that if
the problem came back as the engine warms and went away again etc it was
more likely to be the valve. Obviously as the oil thins the problem goes
away. It does sound horrible though and I always keep the revs way down
until the noise has stopped (i.e. <2000rpm).

Anybody out there know how to fix it, is it worth worrying about. It is
obviously not a valve clearance issue as the engine purrrrs once the
rogue tappet stops clicking.

Regards

Richard Hudson
73 Auto White Stag