Stag/Stag Digest Archive

Re: Stag Water Pump follow-up

Hi Larry
I have just refitted a badly leaking  inlet manifold.
My advice is do not slacken one head.
When I sat my manifold in the vee without gaskets to check mating integrity,
it rocked.
I noted a 30 thou gap worst point, top of rear left flange. Heads not
parallel, and not exactly 45 degrees.
I concluded slackening a head may solve non parallel but not angle. Therefore
I decided to ask Tony Hart who said don't slacken a head.
So I used the Rover gasket cement for aluminium K engines, along with asbestos
free gaskets. They are c25thou
Bolted it up to 16-18 ft lb on the torque wrench, tightening the bottom bolts
first.
It doesn't leak after 1000 miles.
It may leak eventually because there is a shaving of corrosion in one of the
mating faces of the manifold.
Last fit lasted 15000 miles.

Peter H