Stag/Stag Digest Archive

Re: stag purchase

>Based on this discription, can I go wrong for the price?

I would say that sounds extraordinarily cheap. However, you will have to be
careful.

My advice is always to buy either at the very low end with the idea that
the car will  need a full restoration, or at the top end: One that someone
has just done. It's the middle priced ones that look OK that cause the most
stress. Let's suppose you would like to transform your car into a fully
restored Stag. Unless you want to pay for the experience of a restoration,
it is generally cheaper to buy one that someone else has done, particularly
if you take your time into account. Maybe your new find desperately needs
and engine rebuild? Allocate at least $5000 for that. What about fix up the
paint? I just visited a Stag in a local workshop that had $14000 spent on
body & paint. Anyway, what I always say to people thinking of owning a car
like this is that in the long run it's the cheap ones that are expensive
and the expensive ones that are the best value.

Regards,
John

77 Tahiti blue auto with wire wheels in Sydney