Stag/Stag Digest Archive

Re: Front Springs positioning.

The Haynes manual says the following in
Chapter 11, Section 4, Paragraph 13 for
refitting the FRONT road springs.

"Refit the roadwheel and when positioned
in the straight ahead position, grasp the road
spring and rotate it so as to bring its lower
extremity direct inboard. The reason for this
is to ensure that the spring bows out slightly
when loaded so preventing fouling on the
wheel arch."

The instructions for refitting the REAR
road spring don't include anything about
positioning.

However, don't believe everything you see/read
in the Haynes manual. On the page opposite
the above (p.177) there is a drawing of the
front suspension clearly showing a bush
where the drag strut joins the lower suspension
arm!  I understand the Triumph 2000 has this,
but the Stag certainly doesn't. (Perhaps it would
have been better if it did) Indeed the caption for
this item mentions a Commission number of
MB 8252. That's not a Stag number.

Then on page 138 (Chapter 10, Section 40, Para 4)
in the description of the night dimming relay the words
"the resistor of the unselected flasher circuit" in lines
6 and 7 should not be there; at least not if the drawing
is correct.

Also, on the next page (139) the drawing of the fusebox
is laterally reversed. Photo 45.1 proves it.

There may be other errors, and some may have been
corrected in recent editions. Both my manuals (one for
the garage and one for indoors) are quite old.

John Clayton