Stag/Stag Digest Archive

Re: Unleaded Engine

For those unable to see the article Mike Wattam refers to, I have
reproduced it in its entirety below.
For the record, Mike Allen is employed by SOC Spares Ltd but
is not a director of that company.
This will better equip you to draw the conclusions Mike Wattam
is keen for you to draw.

John Clayton
SOC member no.1570

Unleaded fuel in the Stag

With the date for the removal of 4 star leaded fuel from the forecourts
approaching fast, it seems like a good time to do a serious test on one of
the better known products claiming to overcome the problem.  I do not
propose to test its 'lead replacement' capability, as this would entail
testing an engine until it failed - if it did - on unleaded, before then
testing with the catalyst to see if it stopped the problem on the rebuilt
engine.
Experience is not really necessary as all we need is eight hardened exhaust
valves and a few gaskets - assuming of course that you can get the heads
off!
What I intend to test is its claimed ability to restore the engine's lost
performance, and reduce the extra fuel consumption caused by having to use
a lower octane fuel.
We are after all talking about having to use standard (premium) unleaded as
the 'super' will soon be unavailable too.
I propose to have the car set up to correct manufacturer's specification,
and then take accurate readings of emitions (sic), BHP at the wheels, fuel
consumption, etc, on four-star fuel. The tests will then be repeated on
unleaded, without a catalyst, then with it, and finally back on four-star
again.
To get meaningful results will take some time, as it will be necessary to
do a reasonable mileage on each fuel.
Hopefully I will then get some conclusive evidence to pass on. I will keep
you informed over the coming months.

                                          Mike Allen
(This article appeared on page 28 of the July 1998 issue of the Stag Owners
Club magazine)