Stag/Stag Digest Archive

Stumped on Starting a Stag

Hey folks got one that has humbled me to a point that I have lost all
 confidence in my mechanical abilities. I have either missed something
 so idiotic that I will forever have my tail between my legs or
 something is big time broken. I have a 73 Stag that has had a complete
 engine rebuild and when the faithful moment came to start her, she
 just won't (does but with much difficulty). I will try to make this as
 short and detailed as possible. First the details on the engine rebuild.
The motor has new bore with 20 over pistons, new bearings and new crank.
new RH head and left side with new guides, seats and valves
new timing chains, water pump.
Valve gaps were done on the bench and set perfectly. They open and
 close and no hang ups. Heads assembled to block with #2 (left side
 front piston) at TDC, notches on cams lined up with notches on heads
 and jackshaft scribe line horizontal, slightly inclining to right.
 Distributor rotor pointing to outside coil mounting bolt (also lines
 up with #2 cap post). We have new wires and plugs. Yes the wires are
 installed correctly and have been verified by another Stag guru. Point
 gap set and Static timing of dual points set to US market of 10
 degrees BTDC per the Stag ROM. Even though timing is set per the book,
 the distributor is fully clockwise in its adjustment travel with about
 a 1/8th inch left. Carbs have all new gaskets including pedestal
 gasket. Adjustments on the 175 CD carbs are minimal anyway with float
 level set at 16mm (17mm didn't work either). Gas is new and fuel pump
 delivers fuel to bowls with no external leaks and stops "clicking"
 when bowls have filled. Ancillary hoses hooked up, Anti Run on valve
 not connected at all and should be out of the equation.
Choke fully out, starter engages and she turns over but little if no
 indication of trying to kick over. I can breathe life into her by
 temporarily holding my hand over the left carb (cuz I can reach that
 one and turn the ignition switch at the same time). At that point,
 once released will sputter and backfire back through the carbs (flame
 and all). If she does stay running does so with all the feelings that
 something ain't right. I have been able to sustain about a half hour
 of run time at which time checked dynamic timing at 4 degrees BTDC (no
 vaccum advance). Showing no indication of rich mixture out exhaust,  I
 show spark on all 8 wires and yes I have tried a new coil and the
 plugs that I took out of this "running engine" before the rebuild (she
 was burning oil, 100k on motor etc is why she needed to be renewed).
 Other trials and failures, set the dual point to trigger on single
 point configuration (top point set disabled) bottom set to static
 timing spec. Screw the book, tried starting by moving distributor
 through its entire range of travel, nuthin. I am simply out of ideas!
 As mentioned another Stag guru (thought I was but no more) went
 through things and couldn't see anything obvious either. Indications
 point to timing but everything is right on. I even went to the extreme
 of slowly rotating the engine and making note of intake and exhaust
 strokes, valves opening and closing properly per the stroke and noting
 rotor to cap post position and points for the firing stage (takes
 about 3 hours to do with the brain running 110% with all processors
 active). The next thing to try is to remove the carb assy from my
 buddies Stag and try it on mine. The only other thought may be a
 intake manifold leak but during the time I had her running I checked
 that by spraying carb cleaner around the intake points to the head and
 carb pedestal and had no change in idle at the time. Any ideas would
 be appreciated. Compression is right on in all cylinders. I have
 already consoled myself that my newly restored, painted Stag won't
 make the National Triumph convention in July. I will bring my long
 time buddy since high school, my 65 Spitfire..... always been at my
 side, always started and maybe deserves the trip to the convention
 over its stupid garage mate.

Thanks!
Joe Pawlak
Hampshire, Illinois
65 Spit, 80 TR7 Spyder, and Miss "I don't wanna start" 1973 Stag