Stag/Stag Digest Archive

Re: clutch

Mike Bennett wrote:

> G'day all,
>
> Looking for advice as to the most likely fault in my 75 Stag.
>
> Over about 5 km driving my clutch disengaged gradually further and further
> from the floor until it did't disengage fully even when the pedal is fully
> released. Now laid up outside a friends place.
> No loss of reservoir fluid, pedal seems more or less normally resistant. Any
> thoughts gratefully received!

Mike,

Does normal operation resume once the car is cold ?

If so, one thought that sprang to mind was whether the clutch pipe
between the master and slave cylinders is running next to the exhaust.
Maybe as the exhaust gets hot the fluid is locally boiling, causing poor
slave cylinder movement. So keeping the pipe away from the exhaust or
replacing the fluid may help as over time it absorbs water and so
reduces the boiling point.

May be a long shot but worth a look.

Good luck,

Dave.