Stag/Stag Digest Archive

Carb needle valve

After a run this weekend I smelt petrol. The carb overflow pipe at the timing
cover end was dripping and petrol was dripping into the "V" from both carbs.
I dismantled the carbs and on blowing through the needle valves they seemed to
be working ok.  ie closing off all pressure.

The inlet manifold had about an inch of petrol in it! - I was looking for the
leak with the ignition on and with the engine stopped.  The petrol pump was
clicking very slowly and I guess the excess petrol just fills up the inlet
manifold.

Can anybody advise if it is just the needle valves that need replacing - I
think the floats are set correctly (16mm according to my manual).  Any other
tips would be appreciated.

Thanks

Regards

Graham Nicholson