Stag/Stag Digest Archive

Re: Cooling Buzzer

David and All
I think I could use that buzzer.
Not that one exactly but certainly a buzzer. One that buzzes when I must stop.
That is when all the cooling system pressure is lost, and I am about to boil,
or all the oil pressure is gone, because I forgot to replace the filler cap,
or just didn't check the level enough or there has been a massive leak into
the head gasket etc.
So this buzzer would monitor fluid levels and pressures and beep when things
change rapidly.
Thats my twopence worth. It may help to get input from all those members who
had a breakdown caused by cooling or oil problems to find out what actually
happens in use, rather than what owners are concerned might happen.
I would have saved a head and a £600 repair with a buzzer that sounded on
coolant pressure loss, because my water was lost from a hose failure BEFORE my
temperature gauge started to climb, and I saw the steam before I saw the gauge
climbing up towards the red.
So David, if you can make a buzzer kit that will do that, count me in? (It
would have to be clever and not come on straight away after starting a cold
engine, perhaps being switched on by coolant over 85 degrees C. It would come
on however on a cold engine with coolant level too low).
I know the oil one is easier, but I am less concerned about that having run
300 miles with gauge readings down to only 5lbs when my Pressure Relief Valve
was wrong, and no terrible aftermath.
Regards
Peter Howells